About Matthew Bofenkamp
Hello everyone! My name is Matthew Bofenkamp. I am a game designer and programmer from the Seattle area, currently based in the Detroit area. I work as a Unity Developer at Alchemie Solutions during my working hours, and in my spare time I work as the Lead Developer, Executive Producer, Designer, and Writer at Anxious Oak Studios, a small indie studio I recently co-founded.
Honors and Awards:
- Selected for Alt.Ctrl.GDC 2020 (The Unfathomed Voyager)
- Bronze Award for Best Student Game at Serious Play 2019 (BROKE: The Game)
- Selected for CHI PLAY 2019 (BROKE: The Game)
- Selected for HCI International 2019 (The Unfathomed Voyager)
- Selected for Carnegie Mellon University Entertainment Technology Center Festival 2018 (The Unfathomed Voyager)
- Best Use of the Theme at The Global Game Jam 2018 (Talk Of The Town)
- Diversity Award at The Global Game Jam 2017 (A Matter of Fact)
- Best Gameplay Award at Fairytale Game Jam (Beauties and the Beast)
- Award for Technical Achievement at The Global Game Jam 2016 (A Queso Missing Gods)
- First Penguin Award (for ambition) at The Global Game Jam 2016 (A Queso Missing Gods)
- Term Project Presenter (top 15 of about 400 final projects) for 15-112: Fundamentals of Programming and Computer Science Spring 2015 (112: The Saga)
I have two goals in this life: to bring joy to as many people as I can, and to make sure everyone has a voice. These goals brought me into the games industry, and they shape everything I do from what I create professionally to what I do for fun to how I act in the company of others.
What sets me apart from other designers is my sense of humor, my extensive knowledge of world cultures and world music, my ability to improvise, and my willingness to make games very different from the ones I play. Also, thanks to my biology degree, I have a thorough understanding of the scientific method, which makes it very easy for me to isolate problems, whether that be bugs in the code or bugs in the game design.
My main areas of professional interest are in game design with a focus on systems design and front-end software engineering with a focus on gameplay programming, though I'm very much open to design/engineering positions outside my focus area. I also have plenty of experience with writing, focusing on fiction that is grounded in comedy but features serious characters and topics. I also have experience with musical composition and 2D art.